$40,696.68 (upon Academy graduation)
$38,034.24 (while enrolled in the Academy)
Salary based on area of assignment:
- $45,696.68 annually if working in the following counties: Broward, Dade, Monroe, or Palm Beach (Competitive Area Differential Salary)
- $45,696.68 annually if living and working in the following counties: Collier, Duval, Escambia, Hillsborough, Marion, Lee, Orange, Pasco or Pinellas (Critical Market Pay Salary)
- $48,696.68 if living and working in Monroe County (Combination of Competitive Area Differential and Critical Market Pay Salaries)
Education Pay: Up to $1,560 annually
Uniform Allowance: $1,300 annually
Specialty Position Incentive Annual Monies (can be combined and are stackable):
- Quick Response Force: $2,000
- Bureau of Criminal Investigations and Intelligence: $2,000
- Academy/Recruitment/Background Investigations: $2,000
- Commercial Vehicle Enforcement: $2,000
- Drug Recognition Expert: $2,000
- Motorcycles: $2,000
- Contraband Interdiction/K-9: $2,000
- Special Response Team (SWAT): $2,000
- Technology: $2,000
- Public Affairs/Communications: $2,000
- Office of Inspector General Investigator: $2,000
- Hazardous Material Squad: $2,000
- Compliance Investigations: $2,000
Road Patrol Overtime: Up to 16 hours per week at a rate of one and one-half the member’s hourly salary.
Court Overtime: Minimum of 2.50 hours of pay at a rate of one and one-half the member’s hourly salary.
Incidental Overtime: Budget for the payment of incidental overtime (rate of one and one-half the member’s hourly salary).
Off-Duty Police Employment: Up to 32 hours per week of extra hours (combination of all overtime and extra/off-duty details; incidental overtime would not count toward the 32 hour allowance).
Take-Home Patrol Car: Approximately $10,000 in savings annually
State Health Insurance Program: $180/month for a family plan; $50 for an individual plan; $30/month for a family plan for two state employees who are married to each other.
Vision/Life/Dental/Supplemental Insurance Plans: Cost depends on insurance carrier and whether or not the employee elects coverage.
Residence location in relation to City of Assignment: Can live up to 40 air miles from city of assignment.
Promotion Opportunities: Investigator, Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Chief, Lt. Colonel, and Colonel (increases in pay based on a percentage of the member’s salary)
Tuition-Free College Education: Up to 6 credit hours per semester paid-for by the agency.
State of the Art Equipment (provided by the agency):
- Computers, printers, and fingerprint scanners in cars.
- Revolutionary emergency lighting packages.
- Pursuit and specialty vehicles
- In-car, 360-degree video cameras
- Uniforms and weapons
- And much, much more!
The Florida Highway Patrol has an established career progression program. We recognize and reward educational achievements and career advancements.
Troopers with two years of service are eligible to promote to Law Enforcement Investigator I (Corporal) and Troopers with five years of service with the Florida Highway Patrol are eligible to promote to Sergeant.
- Job Stability
- Positive Work Environment
- Paid Training
- Career Advancement/Promotional Opportunities
- Educational Leave with Pay Program
- Competitive Pay
- Hireback Overtime Program
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Maternity Leave
- Military Leave
- Contributory Retirement Plan
- Deferred Compensation Plans
- Deferred Retirement Option Plan (D.R.O.P.)
- No State Income Tax